I decided to write this post because so many people are attracted to discussions on the internet that speak to the success of marketing online, yet so few are anywhere near being ready to undertake it.
You can easily find content on digital marketing and much of it is fairly well aligned, although there is a measure of hype in some cases, along with the regular omission of important detail, for sure.
It's All Changing/Changed
But, the fact is that if you are reading this article, you are among those of us who are in fact responsible for the significant paradigm shift from classical modes of marketing over to digital or 'Inbound Marketing'. Also, know that the changes that have happened were inevitable, unavoidable and part of the destiny of the world!
Excuse the redundant language there, but I wanted to emphasize this point. While we still may be impulsively tempted by magazine ads, the reality is that when we make the decision to actively seek products and services to fill a need, we do so by conducting a research on the internet and it is this, now common, tactic that has changed everything when it comes to marketing.
Do You Know What it Takes To Make The Move?
Okay, so is it now time for you to move your marketing strategy from whatever you have been doing in the past over to Inbound Marketing? How will you know if you are really a candidate for inbound marketing? Do you know what it takes to be successful and do you know if you have what it takes?
Yes, Indeed It Does Work!
Inbound Marketing definitely works if you commit to it properly, and as long as you understand the stakes, you can be spactacularly successful, but it is human nature to succumb to the hype and run headlong into something that promises great reward without thinking about the considerable investment that needs to be made to ensure success.
6 Traits You Must Possess To Be A Good Candidate for Inbound Marketing
(1) Be Willing to Try Something New - Many have started down the path of Inbound only to hack large chunks of the methodology out of their strategies because they are uncomfortable with them or don't believe in them. For example, one of the most important things you can do for your site to increase qualified traffic is to create content, and the most effective way to do this is to blog and promote via social media. Don't cut those pieces out! Adopt the entire flow and go with it. Why mess with a proven formula?
(2) Recognize it is a long term game - Know that your desired results will not materialize in the first month. Nor will they typically happen in the second through sixth months. Establishing your business on line takes considerable time and effort, so you will need to be in it for the long haul and it is critically important to understand this from the beginning.
(3) Have the power to Commit - So, since you now understand the long-term nature of Inbound Marketing, you will need to commit to the plan because you know you probably won't see much in the way of success for the better part of six months, and in some cases, even longer.
(4) Being Flexible - There are many, many variables involved in marketing on line which means that trial and error play an important role on the road to success. You will do your best to create calls to action and offers that appeal to your typical buyers (buyer personas), but some or even many of them may not hit the mark particularly well. So you will need to plan on changing things up on your way to figuring out what works and what doesn't. Analytical marketing software is a crucial element to your success here.
(5) Possess the resources to succeed - As you look over the previous points, you are probably (correctly) arriving at the conclusion that this stuff is going to take someone a lot of time to accomplish properly. Absolutely. So now it's time to stare at yourself in the bathroom mirror and ask if that person is going to be you or will it need to be someone else. If it's going to be someone else, who will that be? Do you have staff on hand with the right skillset and the availability to do it, or do you need to consider hiring a consultant?
(6) Faith & Staying Power - Remember as you go through the process that this stuff really does work, if you do it right. So stick with it and don't give up! If you aren't being successful, think back on the previous points above and figure out where you need to apply more focus - in the end, you WILL get there!
Is There Help Out There?
One other thing to bear in mind is that there are people who can help if you feel that some or all of the above will be too much of a challenge for you to tackle on your own. So reach out and take the time to understand your options and get help if you need it.